Not having a mobile-friendly website often means losing customers, and ultimately money. Having a site that features a responsive design is paramount to providing users with a quality experience and making more conversions. Here are some benefits of having a responsive site.
A Better User Experience
According to this awesome Google study, mobile-friendly sites turn users into customers.
- When they visited a mobile-friendly site, 74% of people say they’re more likely to return to that site in the future
- 67% of mobile users say that when they visit a mobile-friendly site, they’re more likely to buy a site’s product or service
Although the full value of mobile differs from one business to another, every business owner wants their customers to have a great experience when visiting their site. Great experiences lead to more conversions. Responsive design (when done properly) allows a site to work equally well when viewed from a mobile phone, tablet, or desktop computer, giving users the best experience possible on any device.
Mobile Market Share is Huge
Now that mobile internet usage has surpassed PC usage, catering to mobile users is more important than ever.
- 50% of people said that even if they like a business, they will use them less often if the website isn’t mobile-friendly
- 96% of consumers say they’ve encountered sites that were clearly not designed for mobile devices, don’t let that be your site
Even though responsive design isn’t new to developers, many businesses are still giving their mobile users a sour experience with an outdated site.
Unlike traditional web design methods which usually target a single screen size, responsive web design targets many sizes. More importantly, it allows a site to expand gracefully to account for new screen sizes as they emerge. While no design method can truly be 100% future proof, responsive web design is here to stay considering there are 2.7 billion smartphone subscribers worldwide, and this number is projected to hit 6.1 billion by the year 2020. Talk about rapid market growth!
Better platform for SEO
According to Moz, responsive web design is great for Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for many reasons:
- Google rewards usability. If you don’t have a mobile site at all, 61% of visitors will return to Google to find a site that is easily readable
- Search engines de-value duplicate content. Having only one website makes this much easier to uphold
- Google recommends responsive web design and ranks mobile-friendly sites higher on mobile searches.
With mobile usage growing every year and the importance of social sharing, a responsive website makes sense for web marketing.
Everything’s In One Place
Eliminate the need to maintain (and pay for) separate sites for mobile and desktop. This makes owning a site easier, and gives a better experience to your users at the same time, it’s a win-win! Not only is it much more cost-effective to have a responsive web design implemented in the long term, but it generally allows users to find what they’re looking for much faster, which means a higher conversion rate and ultimately more sales.